Ever hosted a party or dinner and had no idea what wine to pair with what food?
You’re not alone. In fact, it’s one of the most common questions we get. So to break things down for your next get-together, here are a few easy rules to remember.
- Let’s start with the obvious: Cab Sauvignon with red meat. The tannins of the wine offset the fattiness of the steak.
- Earthy tastes like mushrooms and truffles go well with Pinot Noir
- Like a little heat? The slight sweetness of Riesling goes great with Asian, Indian and even Mexican dishes.
- Salty snacks like popcorn, pretzels or crackers go great with Champagne!
- Pair white wine with the sauce instead of the fish
- Sauvignon Blanc is great with tart dressing or sauce
- Chardonnay is better with fatty fish or rich sauce
- With Pinot Grigio, the lighter the sauce, the better
- Big spices like BBQ sauce or cumin may seem hard to pair, but Malbec or Syrah are perfect for balance.
- Sweet tooths will love the combo of Moscato and desserts like chocolate cake or apple tart
- Prefer fruit and cheese over sweeter desserts? Rose is the answer!
- Don’t be afraid to start with the wine and then pick the food! Whichever inspires you most.
- When in doubt, pair by region. It goes without saying that an Italian pasta is going to taste pretty damn great with an Italian wine
There you have it! Now you are all ready for your next pairing party – and remember to order from In the Sack. We’re happy to provide tips, recommendations AND the wine and food.